Tuesday 30 April 2013

Nenagh to Birr


Day 9 
Monday.  I really enjoyed my day off yesterday with Mary Ann.  She left me off at Nenagh today to pick up where I had left off.  I walked from Nenagh in Northern Tipperary to Birr which is just over the border into Offaly.  I took what is known here as the old road to Birr.  It is a narrow country road with no road markings, very little traffic and is about 3 miles shorter which was my reason for choosing it.  I walked through good farming country - large green fields on either side with the first of the fresh spring grass and some barley fields showing their early green beards just peeking out of the ground.  As I came out of Nenagh there were some hazy hills to the west and later I came to a place called Fairy Hill covered with trees and a cross standing out above the trees, but no sign of any fairies.  There were a number of wind turbines away to the right a few miles off the road and 8 more later as I approached Birr.  It was a quiet walk.  I talked to nobody 'til I got to Birr.  
As always the first ten miles were ok, but then the poor feet started to complain again and by the time I had gone the last few miles into Birr they were complaining bitterly. The weather was good for walking, mostly sunshine with a few showers and a fresh west wind blowing on my left side.  It was so good to arrive at Doolys hotel again.  I ordered coffee and a scone and a half pint of lager to pass the time while waiting for my host for the night to come and pick me up.  The landlady would not take any money.  Peter Egan my host's son brought me back to Nenagh where I was to spend the night in his parent's house.  
Nenagh and Birr are very different towns.  Nenagh has narrow streets, no real centre and a lot of quite dowdy looking businesses.  Birr on the other hand is a very attractive little town with a spacious central square with a pillar in the middle of it and a number of other smaller squares.  There are also lots of small quaint little shops, even though there is the ubiquitous Tescos on the outskirts.  Here's hoping my feet have a good night and recover enough to face the road tomorrow. 
I had a phone call from my daughter Sarah this evening telling me that she and friends held a street collection today in Magherafelt for Ndi Moyo and collected £583.00.  This did include about £80.00 from Mickey and Briege Lawless from their small change jar.  Well done Sarah and friends and thank you Mickey and Briege.

No comments:

Post a Comment